Having a glut of japlepenos is not a bad thing, ever. But sometimes you don’t know what else to do with them. I definitely suggest learning some basic pickling skills as that will help preserve a lot of different food and one we use all the time. That said, jalapeno’s is one of those things that goes quickly in our house and we never seem to have enough. Jalapeno poppers anyone!?
This wonderful pickling recipe has been given to you below. Don’t say I didn’t warn you about how tasty they are!
Makes: about 1.5kg
Pickled Jalapeno Slices
2 cups distilled white vinegar
2 cups water
2 tbsp pickling salt
1kg jalapeno's sliced into rings (no need to remove the seeds or interior membranes, discard stems)
- Prepare a boiling water bath and sterilize 3 jars and their lids according to water bath canning standards.
- Combine the vinegar, water, and salt (the brine) in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, pack the pepper rings into sterilized jars. Slowly pour the hot brine over each jar, leaving 2cm headspace. Check the headspace again and add more brine if necessary.
- Using a plastic knife or wooden chopstick, run along the inside of the jar a few times to pop any air bubbles that may be trapped.
- Using a damp paper towel, wipe the rims of the jars and apply the lids and rings.
- Let jalapeno slices cure at least 1 week prior to using.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
If you’re interested in seeing what else we do around the farm and our other content, make sure to keep reading and link in with our socials. We update regularly on the progress of our projects. You can also subscribe to our blog to make sure you get all the round-ups and updates first!