I like a good stir fry to help with using up any left over vegetables. We had a lot of leftover from our farm box last week and so a stir fry really was the best answer to get through some of the excess.
Due to food allergies, and the fact we don’t really eat a lot of Asian style food, I tend to not have all the ingredients on hand to make my own sauce. But I did find a fantastic gluten free Hoisin & Garlic sauce by a company called Passage to Asia. It’s not spicy at all, so I did add chilli flakes to our recipe as we enjoy and prefer spicy food. And it ended up turning out fantastic. The recipe freezes well and I’ve already put the extra away for another day.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
* note the portions below are for a double batch. Halve if you only make one batch.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/5 to 1 spanish onion
- Green beans (about 12)
- 1-3 garlic cloves (dependant on size)
- 3 yellow squash
- 2 small carrots
- Half small cauliflower
- 2x packets of Passage of Asia gluten free Hoisin & Garlic sauce
- 2 packets Chang’s Gluten Free pad Thai style rice noodles
- 1-1.5kg of chicken thigh or breast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chilli flakes
- Cut all your vegetables and your chicken to your preferred shape. Just make sure they’re all roughly the same size to ensure equal cooking time.
- Heat a large pan on high with a good dollop of lard or tallow. I used a heavy based cast iron enamel pot that’s low and wide. If you have a wok, use the wok.
- Add your chicken to the pan and season with chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I prefer mine to be browned so I wait for the fat and excess liquid to evaporate and let the chicken brown in the pan.
- Deglaze by adding some water and scraping the sides. Start adding your vegetables.
- Add half a cup of water and put the lid on. Let this cook through until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add the Hoisin & Garlic sauce and start stirring through so all the vegetables are coated. Add the meat back in.
- Cook for another 5-10 mins. In the meantime, boil the water for your noodles.
- Once water is boiled, add your noodles and using a fork, seperate and stir lightly. After about 10 minutes, drain the noodles and rinse them in cold water.
- Mix the noodles and the stir fry well and serve!
2 thoughts on “Hoisin & Garlic stir fry”
Comments are closed.