Table of Contents
Summer nights are a canvas for outdoor gatherings, starlit conversations, and peaceful relaxation. However, the unwelcome presence of mosquitoes can quickly turn this idyllic scene into an itchy and bothersome affair.
Fear not, for the solution lies in the art of crafting your own citronella candles. These DIY wonders not only elevate your outdoor ambiance but also serve as potent mosquito repellents.
And I don’t know about you, but here in South East Queensland the winter vanished overnight and the days are already over 25c meaning the mozzies and flies are going to start coming out in earnest verrrrrrry soon!
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve deeper into the world of citronella candles, equipping you with the knowledge to create a bug-free haven that combines creativity, science, and nature.
Can I make my own citronella candle?
Absolutely! The process of creating citronella candles is both accessible and enjoyable. With a few basic materials and a dash of inspiration, you can fashion unique candles that align with your style while effectively warding off mosquitoes.
Need to buy materials? N-Essentials is one of the companies I use to source unique wholesale ingredients for my soap business. I have an affiliate code with them to give you 10% off your purchase. Use code AFFILIATE-HOMESTEAD at checkout to get your discount!
Here are some of the ingredients you may need for this project:
Do citronella candles really keep mosquitoes away?
Indeed, they do!
Citronella oil, extracted from lemongrass, is a natural repellent that mosquitoes find disagreeable. When infused into candles, it not only emits a pleasing fragrance but also releases compounds that create a protective shield against these buzzing pests.
Scientific research has demonstrated the effectiveness of citronella candles in reducing mosquito activity in outdoor spaces.
How many drops of citronella oil to add to candles?
The delicate balance between citronella oil and candle wax concentration is key to producing candles that strike the perfect mosquito-repelling chord. A general guideline recommends adding around 20-30 drops of citronella essential oil for every 30g of melted candle wax. This formula ensures an optimal concentration, blending potent mosquito repellency with an inviting aroma.
How do you make a natural mosquito repellent candle?
Creating your very own natural mosquito repellent candle is a gratifying venture that involves several simple steps:
- Gather your materials:
- Choose your preferred candle wax (soy or beeswax are ideal choices).
- Obtain good quality citronella essential oil. I use a very high quality Australian company called Australian Wholesale Oils and even sell some of their kits on The Homestead Store. I currently have the Summer Sunset Essential Oil Kit and the Australian Native Oil Collection.
- Prepare candle wicks.
- Equip yourself with a double boiler or microwave-safe container.
- Select attractive glass jars or containers for your candles.
- Acquire wooden sticks or pencils (these will secure the wicks).
- Melt the wax:
- Utilize a double boiler or microwave to gently melt the candle wax, ensuring uniformity in texture.
- Add Citronella Oil:
- Once the wax is fluid, introduce 20-30 drops of citronella essential oil per ounce of wax. Stir the mixture thoroughly to guarantee even dispersion.
- Prepare the container:
- Position the wick at the center of your chosen glass container. Keep it steady by laying wooden sticks or pencils across the container’s rim.
- Pour the wax:
- Carefully pour the melted wax into the container, leaving a slight gap from the top.
- Allow to set:
- Give your candle ample time to cool and solidify, which typically takes a few hours or overnight.
- Trim the wick:
- After the candle has solidified completely, trim the wick so that it stands roughly ¼ inch above the wax.
- Ignite and savor:
- Light your personalized citronella candle and relish in its dual role as a luminous decor element and a dependable mosquito repellent.
Incorporating citronella candles into your outdoor space not only elevates your aesthetic but also enhances your overall experience by keeping mosquitoes at bay. By engaging in this delightful DIY project, you’re not only crafting candles; you’re weaving a shield against unwelcome pests, nurturing a tranquil atmosphere, and indulging in a satisfying creative pursuit.
Let your evenings be mosquito-free and your memories be illuminated in the warm, soothing glow of your homemade citronella candles.
SHOP THE HOMESTEAD STORE
Want to get your hands on more stuff from Milo’s Farm? We sell handmade, small batch artisan soaps and natural skincare items made directly from the farm and soon enough will be expanding our online offering to other locally produced goods, such as fresh bread, eggs and more!